Arthritis and chronic joint pain are the 2nd and 3rd most prevalent conditions in seniors. Arthritis is a chronic inflammation of the joints. The two most common types of arthritis are rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA).
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
RA is an autoimmune disorder affecting the synovial lining of the joints. Decreased muscle strength/mobility, reduced muscle mass, and impaired physical activity are all the typical symptoms of individuals with RA.
OA is a degenerative joint disease that is more prevalent with age. However, nowadays, we see more cases of OA develop in younger people. Increased BMI/ body mass values are considered a risk factor for OA. Moreover, mechanical injuries or overloading on the joints can cause articular damage.
Physiotherapy and occupational therapy can provide the right treatment to ease pain symptoms and to increase physical fitness characteristics. Furthermore, specific wrist and finger braces can be used to increase functionality and reduce pain.
• Age: Your risk increases with advancing age.
• Sex: Females are at higher risk for most types of arthritis.
• Overweight and obesity.
• Previous joint injury.
Healthy Approaches to Managing Arthritis
1) Focus on nutrition
2) Physical activity
- Exercise is essential for people with arthritis. A balanced exercise program that includes aerobic activities, resistance training, stretching, and neuromuscular training can help you maintain normal function.
Some assistive products can be considered to control the pain level and bring back to normal function. Arthritic joint supports and splints provide comfort and support to legs, knees, wrists, hands, fingers, and thumbs to reduce arthritis pain.
1) PUSH MetaGrip Thumb Brace
The custom-fit brace provides joint support and effective relief of thumb CMC (basal joint) osteoarthritis during work and household activities.
- Provides relief for thumb CMC osteoarthritis
- Effective, durable, streamlined brace
- Custom-fit for maximum CMC joint stabilization
2) MAK Arthritis Gloves Pair
Unique fabric gloves provide mild compression that helps relieve arthritis pain and fatigue, provide warmth, and improve poor circulation and neuropathy of the hands.
- Relieves hand arthritis stiffness, aches
- Helps increase warmth, circulation
- Open fingertips allow touching and gripping
3) PUSH Med Elbow Brace Epi
Durable, comfortable elbow support with viscoelastic polymer pad delivers localized pressure to provide effective conservative treatment of pain associated with epicondylitis, tennis elbow, or golfer's elbow.
- Creates soft, comfortable feel and wicks moisture
- Provides comfortable localized pressure
- Does not shift on the arm during sports
4) Thermoskin Arthritis Shoulder Wrap
Adjustable fabric wrap stabilizes the shoulder, provides compression, and retains body heat for therapeutic relief from soreness and discomfort.
- Provides protection, compression and heat therapy
- Fits left or right shoulder
- Provides therapeutic relief from soreness and discomfort
5)PUSH Care Knee Brace
High quality, adjustable, open-thigh design knee support brace provides optimal comfort and is uniquely designed to provide patella support.
- Unique design provides specific patella support
- Offers a wide range of adjustments for thigh size
6) IMAK Arthritis Socks Pair
- Soft cotton material allows the skin to breathe
- Comfortable to wear all day and night
- Helpful for relieving foot pain